Sunday, June 10, 2007

Communion Without Baptism (CWOB)

Rev. Dr. Mom asked in the comments to my last entry what my thoughts on CWOB were. Well, as devoted readers of the blog probably know, I am agin’ it. I vaguely remember some conflict with the Scotist on the question, but I suspect I said little at the time that a diocesan committee will not hear provided that it is listening. But let’s take another look for the sake of completeness.

Rev. Dr. Mom says,
I would love to hear more of what you think of CWOB. I'm on a diocesan committee now that is studying (or trying to) the effects of the practice. Most of those on the committee believe it "essential for growth". I, however, am concerned not only with undermining the Eucharist but also with making our teaching about baptism irrelevant. Thoughts?


Every Sunday, I hear in the little break for announcements between the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Table these words (or some variant), “Whoever you are and wherever you are on your journey of faith, you are welcome to receive the bread and wine made holy. We’re very glad you’re here.” This invitation is part and parcel of the charism of my present parish. Indeed, it might be said to be our creedal statement, since it and no other creed is said between the Sermon and the Sursum Corda. I can say with confidence that it has resulted in congregational growth. ILEOS c. 1975 was a sleepy suburban church in a small city with three other Episcopal churches. It had one principal Sunday service and an ASA you would expect. Today, it stands on the threshold of joining the very small club of Episcopal megachurches with active programs of education and social action, serving an ASA of 1400 and an active membership that drives from other states to be there. It has two principal Sunday services and two reasonably attended auxiliary services on Sunday and one on Saturday evenings. It has Daily Eucharist. Several times of the year, there are baptisms and welcoming of new members, never two or three at a time but several to a couple of dozen baptisms at once and dozens of new already baptized members. I don’t have the statistics in front of me, but from any quantitative standpoint, I belong to a healthy and growing parish. We even have a surprisingly large number of members in the 20-40 age range. There are still three other Episcopal churches in town. All remain, though I only have any knowledge about one of them.

But is CWOB necessary for growth? Well, talk to Christ Church, Plano or St. Vincent’s Cathedral in Ft. Worth, who have managed to compete quite well in the very competitive ecclesial environment of North Texas by bringing grounding and tradition to the conservative theology of their neighbors. Growth always has been a matter of the market. What plays well in Hollywoodland might not play so well elsewhere. I think it’s far more important to ask how growth and one’s values can be mutually inclusive. It very much reminds me of the old Sunday School question of whether to celebrate the Eucharist with pizza and strawberry shakes or some other food and beverage pairing. Well, all right, if the church’s purpose is to draw hordes of hungry nine year olds. But isn’t it more important to celebrate with some of the basic of most healthy foods of human civilization, the very same food and drink over which Jesus chose to give thanksgiving? Isn’t the basicness of bread and wine most representative of Body and Blood? These aren’t questions always easily answered. Imagine answering them in 14th century Greenland, where wine needed to be shipped from long distances through dangerous seas. Jared Diamon in his recent book, Collapse suggests that the Greenlanders should have been more flexible about many aspects of their medieval Christian lifestyle, which he argues doomed them to failure. How flexible must our values be if we are to grow and survive?

Looking at the Justifications
One very helpful approach to looking at CWOB is to look at its theological justification. There has been much talk on the blogs about theological justification lately. I think *Christopher is right to say that much of what we call theology traditionally is a formalization of what has arisen organically (if that’s a fair statement of his view.) But while certain things arise organically, they develop their theology simultaneously.

At the risk of making a false etiology, I’ll tell you where I think CWOB starts theologically. I’m sure part of it lies in the liturgical reforms in the era of Vatican II when there was a great deal of interest in the Eucharist’s origins as a more substantial and communal meal. Much was read again in the Gospels about Jesus’ table practices and Jesus’ feeding moments. Wait, some said. Jesus dined with sinners and outcasts. Jesus fed thousands indiscriminately. Jesus welcomed everyone to his table. Why shouldn’t we do likewise?

Others found inspiration in the prophetic tradition. The 1979 BCP marked the re-introduction of Easter Vigil to our little corner of Anglicanism. One of the suggested readings is Isaiah 55:1-11 (1-2 follows):

“Come for water, all who are thirsty; though you have no money, come, buy grain and eat; come, buy wine and milk, not for money, not for a price. Why spend your money for what is not food, your earnings on what fails to satisfy? Listen to me and you will fare well, you will enjoy the fat of the land.”

For these thinkers, the Eucharist is the eschatological feast freely offered to all without distinction.
Today, I heard a new argument. It focuses on the story of the Prodigal Son, in which the Kingdom of Heaven is compared to a father’s unconditional forgiveness of a wayward son. The argument then justified offering the Eucharist (presumably like the fatted calf) as the birthright of all who breathe.

Challenging the Justifications
It’s not hard to get into a Scriptural battle with the proponents of CWOB. But it is hard to agree on a set of rules. Argue too strenuously that eschatological feeding practices belong to the eschaton and you will be accused of denying God’s reign in the here and now or even worse be condemned as a Neo-Platonic despiser of the body and creation. Start asking about the business of the wedding garment of Matthew 22 and you will be told that all the best scholars think Matthew added the last bit. Jesus never said anything so cruel. Mention Paul’s concerns in 1 Corinthians 11 about discerning the Body and you might hear an earful of how Paul made up Christianity, distorted everything, really didn’t get Jesus etc. Or they might say that they don’t believe in Original Sin, because it makes God too vengeful and cruel. I think of Ezekiel, “O House of Israel, why do you say I am unjust? Are you not the ones who are unjust?”

My alternative response is to look at why the first Eucharist was so exclusive (as far as we know from the Gospels). In John 6, Jesus teaches his disciples that they will have to eat and drink Him in order to have eternal life. He says this in the synagogue at Capernaum (his home base as it were) and many of his disciples say, “This is more than we can stand? How can anyone listen to such talk?” And they stop going around with Him, but the Twelve stick around. John says nothing about the institution of the Eucharist in his Passover narrative. He doesn’t have to. In John’s narrative, this moment at Capernaum is the institution of the Eucharist without breaking out the bread and wine for emphasis. Jesus even at this moment reveals that one of the Twelve will betray Him. Everything is in fast forward. But this incident sets forth an important principle: Eating with Jesus is controversial because it is open to everyone, but eating Jesus is a much different matter than eating with Jesus. In every generation, eating Jesus requires a deep sacrifice. In the generation of the apostles, it required one to go along with the idea that Jesus was in union with God, that He would die a humiliating death (and they might, too), that cannibalism was lawful in a limited and metaphorical sense.

The idea of CWOB challenges us to think about how we eat with those outside the Body. Jesus’ table practices are lessons to us about how to engage with the world. I wonder what people would think if I started going out to the Sunset Strip at 3 AM with hot meals. But as in the Prodigal Son, eating Jesus or eating the fatted calf requires us to embrace difficult things, to recognize some infirmity in our nature, to recognize that as much as God loves us, He still waits for us to embrace that love in its fullness. Like the Prodigal Son, we, too, must go and say, “Father, I have sinner before God and you, I am no longer worthy to be called your son.” Is it any wonder that in some traditions, the newly baptized is clothed in white, washed with water, anointed with oil, and given a lighted candle. We might as well put a ring on their finger, for each baptized person is a Prodigal Son (or Daughter) and a well-beloved dinner guest, extended the unmerited and utterly inexplicable Grace of God. So Rev. Dr. Mom, I think you’re right to worry how the meaning of Baptism and the Eucharist is undermined by CWOB. And if I were on your committee, I would ask those enthusiastic about CWOB whether they think there is any difference between eating with Jesus and eating Jesus.

18 comments:

bls said...

Good one, Caelius.

Derek the Ænglican said...

I'm working on a piece about this for my next posting at the Episcopal Cafe. Actually, it'll be the first of a three-part series on the top. I expect to draw a lot of flak...

I'll give the briefest preview of my second section in response to the issue of the biblical angle. The primary appeal to the Scriptures used in support of CWOB comes from the gospel scholarship of the Jesus Seminar and associated scholars like Borg. The problem with their work is that it rests on some very tendentious foundations, especially if it is intended for use in Christian theology. Most of the people writing on CWOB are not biblical scholars and they are using what they see to be good contemporary scholarship (in fact, I can't tell you how many times I've been told that the reason I don't agree with open communion is because I simply don't know/understand contemporary biblical scholarship...). Yes, it's contemporary, but there are far deeper issues at work. Like I said, I'll post on this shortly...

Anonymous said...

I think you got me partially correct on the organically. Organically for me implies something like this, that this practice or change in practice arises in response to the address of the Good News of Jesus Christ to these persons, to this community, in this time, in this culture. It's an evangelical--meaning Reformation, understanding of theology that always has a pro me, a relational understanding, because the Objective Reality, "objective" meaning outside of Creation, other than Creation, God, is personal, not merely a propositional truth, and our relationship is adequately set forth in theologizing in the Creed--the content of that saving relationship (again, the Reformers in this sense, especially Luther and Melanchthon, were close to patristics). So "organic" does not allow for anything goes in this sense, but asks whether this development is in response in these lives to the God who gave His only-begotten Son because He so loved the world and does this development bear fruits, conform to the Mind of Christ in patience, humility, courage,... -- the gifts of God to us (virtues).

Growth in numbers of its own is not an indication of health. Health is growth in discipleship, and it's hard to be disciples if all you get is "the bread and wine made holy". This sounds very memorialistic to my ears. At least at my parish, which also practices CWOB, it's "whoever seeks Christ". At C's parish, it's "all who are baptized...". Still, I think I distinguish between refusing communion at the communion line to someone not baptized and what is norm in practice. The norm is baptism before Eucharist, and there is a particular reason hospitably speaking for this, which now requires a post.

Derek is right about translation. For example, the Greek in Paul says, "you have died with Christ and you WILL be raised with Christ" but we often translate that liturgically as "you have died with Christ and you are raised in Christ". The eschatological tension of Paul (in contrast to Pseudo-Paul) is quite distinct. Betwixt and Between...

As for Greenland, let's not forget the Inuit. Bread and wine are those things basic and wholesome in many cultures, but not all, and wine is poison to some peoples. And to the Inuit both bread and wine are poison, the first because the sugars are something their bodies cannot digest well--and rots their teeth as they've no experience with sugars generally, the second because their bodies cannot process alcohol. Icelanders used beer as did some Germanic tribes. In parts of Africa where grape wine is very expensive they go without communion instead; I'm not sure if God is quite so legalistic, though I appreciate their concern. A dynamic equivalence, that God makes himself available to us, in the healthiest and most wholesome things shouldn't be quickly dismissed. I'm also flexible enough to recognize the in extremis situation, but when folks use donut holes and milk when finer fare are readily available, I walk out--and I've done so.

the Reverend boy said...

Caelius,

Thank you for this. What do you think about offering communion to those who call themselves Christian but are not baptized?

Thanks

the Reverend boy
http://www.teaheepeehee.wordpress.com

Derek the Ænglican said...

I don't remember any medieval sources mentioning Eucharists with beer in the north--but one of my favorite papal letters to Iceland states that baptisms performed with beer are invalid... :-D

Caelius said...

Reverend Boy--

I was educated by Quakers, who are often (but not always) unbaptized Christians, an old theological disagreement with Anglicans. George Fox constantly railed against "the sprinkling of infants." As much as I love my Quaker friends, I think they would understand if I offered them the ordinances as a package.

Caelius said...

*Christopher, what you say about the Inuit is quite fair. I actually considered suggesting consecration of seal meat and blood, which is analogous to bread and wine in Inuit culture.

bls said...

I'm actually an Open Communion girl at heart - I do believe that Christ present in the Eucharist can enter and change hearts - except for one thing alone: the fact that Open Communion makes Baptism optional.

And for that one reason alone, I would argue against it.

bls said...

(Not because Baptism is "legally required," BTW, but because it is a Most Wonderful and Mystical Sacrament. Because it's beautiful and true.)

The Anglican Scotist said...

Interesting.

Substitute "emergency baptism" in for X below:

(1) If communion without baptism is forbidden, then X would be forbidden.

(2) But X is permitted.

(3) Thus, communion without baptism is permitted.

Now, just for fun, substitute "baptism without confirmation" or "infant baptism".

If this is puzzling to you, or seems in any way ad hoc, ask yourself could anything fill the role of X so as to make (1) true?

First, to make the exercise easier and less sloppy, take "could" as referring only to God's ordained power.

But then, take it to refer only to God's absolute power.

If you think nothing could--in either sense--fill the role of X in (1) so as to make (1) true, then please explain why.

The Anglican Scotist said...

There is another curious problem, coming at this from Zizioulas' understanding of the apostolic succession. Suppose the last Supper is an icon for the eucharist's eschatological side. Or not--just suppose the epistemic possibility of Zizioulas' theory.

In that case, your prohibition rules out the possibility of universalism, or its epistemic possibility (depending on how we regard Zizzy).

But ruling out the very possibility of universalism could well imply material heresy in your doctrine of God. You would be asserting something utterly incompatible with a traditional Catholic understanding of God's absolute power.

Or, you would reply that you are not embracing heresy by--in effect and whether you realize it or not--flying into the arms of, say, Calvin--who has a very different take on the relation between absolute and ordained power.

Caelius said...

Scotist--

I really don't see how your syllogism works. In particular, I deny your major premise as a non sequitur . One possibility for X would be admitting the unbaptized to Holy Orders.

As for your last comment, I do not deny that the unbaptized commune per se. But I do believe they have a substantially increased risk of harm from the Sacrament.

LutherPunk said...

Not to butt in on your solidly Anglican discussion here with Lutheran heresies, but I have to confess that I find the whole CWOB discussion oddly anthropocentric. It is the festal meal of those in communion with the church, and I can't find anything that suggests you can be in communion with the church sans sacraments of initiation. By making the meal about individual conversion/experience only we lose its most communal aspects.

Our parish practice is much like the practice of C's parish. We invite all the baptized to participate. This is less strict than the Lutheran church I came from, where visitors were still required to "register" for the sacrament by signing a card stating that they had been baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and that they accepted article X of the Augsburg Confession (that Christ is truly present under the from of bread and wine).

bls said...

And LutherPunk makes a very good point about the "communal" aspect of Communion, too.

That's partly what motivates the COWB argument, though, too, I think. The thinking might be that - to use one example off the top of my head - since Jesus said he would "draw all people to myself," then how can we make the Church the line in the sand? The Church has shown itself to be fallible (and sometimes even criminal); this seems to elevate it to something it isn't - and it seems to reinforce the unfortunate tendency of human beings to close in on themselves and create boogeymen of people outside the circle.

I'm not saying that's what's actually happening, but that might be an argument. And it can't be denied that there is always a strain of "us-vs.-them" in human relationships.

Marguerite Porete argued for "Holy Church the Greater" - the communion of all believers (which would of course include unbaptized Quakers and members of the Salvation Army) - against "Holy Church the Less" - the institutional Church.

I'm just making other arguments. I believe in the Sacrament of Baptism and want it to be front-and-center, never optional. OTOH, many people who've taken Communion first have also been Baptized later.

I do like Caelius' argument here, though, I have to say. In any case, there's nothing at all wrong in going to the Communion rail for a blessing, either.

(As you can probably see, I'm always of two minds about this issue. There are good arguments on both sides.)

Jon said...

I think it would be helpful to note that the class of all saved people is neither identical to nor simply a subset of all baptized people, although they are related. If we take this as given then lutherpunk's point is the crux of the matter as far as I can see. If one wants to publicly take part in the Church's celebration one should first become part of the Church which means get baptized. It's not that one would be damned if one does it in the wrong order, it's just a matter of keeping the visible actions in a sensible order.

Jon

Rev Dr Mom said...

Thanks for this! I've been commenting on Derek's thread on this, but I had neglected to come back here.

Stasi said...

Maybe the solution is to follow the Eastern Orthodox and offer the "bread of fellowship" to the unbaptized following Communion for only the baptized. That will include everybody while retaining the sacredness of the Eucharist. It also catechizes those present as to the important difference of eating Jesus (which forms the community into the body of Christ) and eating with Jesus (which the nonbaptized are now doing by eating with said body).

Caelius said...

Feminarian--

That's a solution that the Young Fogey and Bls agree on. And when those two agree on anything, not only do I suspect it's a good idea, but I also suspect the angels rejoice in Heaven.